Driving at Montenegro

Good Morning from Mediterranean coast

As mentioned before, our moving from Antalya to Danilovgrad/Zelcestan postponed for a while. I do not know when shall we be able to go again, we will see.

I been at Montenegro nine times until now. Decides to share my observations about Montenegro during this stand by period. Please send me an e-mail if you think that I have mistake with the collected information; zelcestan@gmail.com is my mail address for Zelcestan.

I was resisting to drive a car due to aggressive drivers of Turkey. It became a mandatory to drive again for doctor visits of sweet hearts (also other animals who needs help) also transportation at Montenegro. There is no public transportation from Danilovgrad to Zelcestan. The distance is app 10 km. I was taking a taxi from airport but it is not easy to make shopping etc with taxi.

First car: In May 2018, I took a private lesson from a teacher before I started to drive again. Then, in June 2018, for vaccination of sweet hearts I asked to a lot friends who has car and time to take us to the doctor (mostly taxis do not accept animals) with no success. Then I bought my first car!

It an old car (99 model Citroen) but more than enough for us.

Since August, I am renting and driving car at Montenegro and a few times from Albania  hence decided to write about this first.

Crossing borders with rented car; If you rent a car and planned to cross border; you must inform the rental company for that to get an authorisation to cross border. Otherwise you can not get out of the country. Some of the rent a car companies are asking for a fee for this authorisation but some of them free of charge hence you have to check that out first. I crossed from Albania to Montenegro (the flights from Turkey to Podgorica is quite expensive hence time to time I fly to Tirana and rent a car from there or with bus (until end of my visa) to Shkoder and rent a car from there).

Green insurance; Just before the border, on the left side a small hut of the insurance company. You need your passport, the licence of the car and authorisation letter to have the "Green Insurance" It costs 15 Euros for 15 days. A notice about this; you are responsible to bring the car to the border in case of any big accident (hopefully never have this experience)

Speed limits; The speed limits are very important also flexible. They apply different speed limits at different area between 30 -80 km/ph; please follow the rules. Otherwise they use portable speed radars and never accept any excuse for that. The penalties are starting from 80 Euros up to 3000 Euros depends on speed, place, and your attitude.

Alcohol; The alcohol limit is 0.3; in case of any accident; even this can be problem for you hence that will be much more better not drink if you are driving. The taxis are quite cheap esp if you compare with Europe. Therefore park your car and use the taxi if you wish to enjoy with delicious wines and rakija of Montenegro.

Turkish Drivers; Not written as a mandatory to have the new version of the driving license but to avoid any problem; I strictly advise to have the new one if you are planning to drive car abroad. Time to time that is OK but mostly they want to see the details of the driving license written as new versions.

Reflector vest; I did not read any written rule about it or face with but mostly the foreigners are saying that is also required to have reflector vest if you have to get out of the car esp during the evening. A few months ago read that on newspaper as the car of two ladies had stopped in the middle of the road and i stead of using reflector they stand up behind of the car to avoid anyone crash the car. I am afraid yes; another car crashed to the behind of the their car while they were there. Therefore I agree with this rule to be more visible to other drivers just in case of any requirement.

Pedestrians; pedestrians has priority at traffic hence please be careful to avoid any penalty. Even at turns, if any pedestrian on the way; you must stop and give the priority to them.

Respect; As mentioned above; Turkish people has an incredible ego at traffic; therefore I did not use car for 12 years. After two stressful weeks at traffic; I bought a car camera and insteas of getting nervous/stressed with traffic terrorism; taking the videos all the time and sharing with traffic 😈

Just respect to each other at traffic and follow the rules; that is all what you have to do at Montenegro and all around the world.

I am using www.holidaycars.com website to rent a car. They have a comparising system by and between the rent a car companies and mostly have much more better prices.

With driving; I have flexibility to access to Zelcestan all the time 🤩

Have a nice and safe day
Zel

Comments