Welcoming winter at Balkans

 Good afternoon,

As you guessed, the weather is getting colder day by day. I check the meteorology daily to act accordingly.

When I went to Podgorica on Friday, could not stop myself as usual and bought four more seedlings; nectarine, peach, cherry and pears to be planted to the back garden also two multi coloured roses. Seedlings are app 2.50 Euros at garden markets and flowers app 1.5 Euros. Of course the prices depends on the age and size of the plant what you want to buy.

Saturday was quite cold and windy hence I kept them in the car for Saturday and Sunday after checking meteorology planted them all to the garden and gave some water.

Monday morning woke up to a suprise; freeze!






I got shocked when I saw the ice all over everything, was planning to hang the water squash this morning but also it has cold bite and I really do not know what will be happen.

Balkans is a new and difficult book for me which erase all what I know about nature and gardening. It is almost 180 degrees opposite of Mediterranean and I have to learn everything almost from zero.


Clean the garden and collected the dry leaves to support to the root of the new seedlings to avoid freeze.

Saw a product on one of the local gardening market which was saying that this is good to avoid freeze also insects from trees and bought it this morning.


And now all baby trees are as this. Based on advise of a friend from Cologne, Germany (Danke Schon Canan), I brought some cold blankets last year with personal belongings. Most probably soon babies will be wrapped with blankets to protect during the winter. 


And based on advise of one of neighbour (Hvala Nana) put bottles over roses to keep them warm. The branches were good but after colds they started to die and I planted a big part of them to the garden. Have more less 10 in total (😭) which means I have to have more rose branches to take (!) and grow.

Take care and stay safe,
Zel









Comments