Car registration at Montenegro

Good morning,

As usual since 04:00 am sweet hearts are jumping around; let me evaluate this to write information to the blog 🤓

To be able to buy a car at Montenegro or register your car at Montenegro you must have a residence permit (boravak). Last year I applied for boravak the day after we arrived and received app 40 days later. During this time a few times used taxi, once put fuel to the car of a friend then he drove me, two times walked to the main road (8.5 km is not easy on asphalt and in winter),blabla.

Here, at Montenegro they have special stations named "Technicki  Pregled"; you deal almost everything there. I bought my car from an auto galeria; Auto Trend, even there are web sites such as Autodiler.

When you find your car, you have to go to techicki pregled with the seller. They prepare the papers and make the periodic control of the car if does not have. You can see this on advertises as "nema registracije " which nemaÅ¡ not registered and no periodic control; strictly advice to request them from the seller otherwise you have to handle them all even the cost can be more than you guessed. 

They make the sales agreem  ent, periodic control of the car (must be done yearly), prepare the insurance, green card insurance if you wish (third party insurance which is mandatory to travel to other countries), etc. 

As mentioned above, I bought my car from auto galeri. It was one of the imported car from Italy hence they handle all paperwork. I chosen my car, made the test drive, paid almost the half of the price and two days later they brought the car to Danilovgrad and I paid the rest of the amount before take the keys.

The number plates of the foreigners cars are different than the locals or company cars. Includes the letter of PR abd numbers such as mine; DG (Danilovgrad) PR21. This part to underline the validity of the car registration as of "registered until 2021". Once more I advise to pay attention to the yearly periodic control of your car even insurance. Not for police, for you.

Periodic controls also done by Technicki Pregled. You have to go there before end of your car registration (car registration is connected with insurance; who wants to drive a car without insurance?) with your new boravak / residence permit. 

The cost depends on the year, engine, model of your car. My one is 2006 Dacia Logan and paid 225 Euros for all; insurance, new plates, technical control, VAT, tax... 

When they finished the procedures, give you a paper which lets you drive 10 more days after expiry of you current registration. Last time it took approximately 35 days to receive number plates, hopefully will be faster this year. When you go to pick up your new number plates, you must deliver the old ones.

We went with my next door neighbour who is Montenegrin and speaks very well English. He made the translations. Otherwise would be a bit difficult for me; hvala puno komsija 🤗

Will keep posted my experiences as of how did I do, what is the costs, what is the duration, how long it takes etc. Hopefully after corona will travel and post the hidden gems of Montenegro from my perspective.

Take care and stay safe,

Benek & Haylaz & Zel




Comments