Travelling with artifacts

 Good evening from rainy days of Balkans,

To avoid smuggling of historical artifacts, there are some regulations for international movements of the artifacts even if they are new/already purchased.

There was a paint at Antalya which reflects perfectly where I live today hence I was wishing to bring that also with other leftover personal belongings. 
Not such a good shot but at least gives ideas about the river and wooden boats. 

Based on the searches and given information; if you want to take out any artifacts out of Turkey; you have to have a paper from museum which says this paint, sculpture, etc is not historical and permitted to take abroad.

Better to get in touch via mail if possible with a photo if you are managing as me from another country. When I arrived to Antalya, took a quick shower then drove to the house of my friend who kept them all for almost two years. I should take them before but corona or cancellation of the flights were not planned hence had a small delay. 

The next morning, scheduled my day and went to Antalya museum to avoid and delay. They asked me to unwrap from plastic sheet what I put two years ago to seal and sign behind. When they asked for this, there were two police officer who came from airport and found a metal/glass carved artifact and not sure if historical or not. Therefore to avoid any last minute problem, better to do this in advance before go to airport or border.

They took the photo of the paint and wrote the description on their expertise report. Put this white paper, sealed the middle and two expert signed on both sides of the paper and frame. Be careful with this paper and be sure you keep it there all the time at least until you arrive to your final destination.

More less in one hour they settled up the report. By the chance two of the expert were there, otherwise this is one day process. Mostly you have to leave the artifact early in the morning and take with report in the evening. There is no cost for that and definitely saves you time and avoid mis flight or problem at borders. 

I love to share the knowledge whatever I have therefore do my best to write all details. Hopefully they help to you and give ideas how to do.

Take care and stay safe
We 


Comments