Grafting to the trees

 Good evening from chilly nights,

Normally we are in spring but the weather at Montenegro does not aware of this situation :) Strong (and cold) NNE winds are breathtaking! 

If you have limited space for gardening the same as me; you can consider grafting different varieties from the same family / structure of trees to evaluate the garden.

There are plenty different ways to make it and even to make at when. You have to consider based on whereever you located. Mostly people are mixing this very important detail. Even altitude can effect to this calendar hence better to upgrade your knowledge accordingly.

In our case; I am at rural part of Montenegro and the area where I live has 65 altitude. This means; yes, we have so much wind, cold but almost no snow. 

With grafting trees, I started with mullberry last September. As I mentioned (complained) several times; almost no hot or sour tastes at Montenegro kitchen hence as a person who loves both; I was suffering!

The main tree, where I took the branches is gone now! They cut the huge tree due to road construction hence the sour mulberry tree what I have on the garden after grafting is the only one I know. 

With grafting trees; you can mix from the same family such as plum, cheery and sour cherry, peach - almond - nektarin - apricot, rosehips and roses, apple-pears-quin etc. 


As mentioned; my garden is small and I started to play with gardens of neighbours and even friends with grafting; more gardens, more fun 😁

Some important points with grafting; 
     - Do not let the graft have fruit for first year. Otherwise the graft will have a weak growing or connection with the main tree.

     - When you see small buds under the graft, clean them gently. With this way the energy will go to grafts.

     - At least 30 minutes before, scratch the surface of the figs more less 3-5 cm down from graft area to release the milk. This milk is quite strong hence can cause burns on the graft.
Like this.

So, now I have red and yellow apple on one tree, red and yellow cherry on one tree, apple and pears on one tree, etc. If they all survive, starting from next year we will have more colours and fun at Zelcestan 😍❤

Take care, stay safe and love nature 
We 

  

Comments