From Turkiye to Montenegro with car

 Good morning from a rainy day,

With our routing from Turkiye to Montenegro was more interesting than way up. Of course the result of "dear" Google Maps!

As mentioned previously, I bornt and grew on Mediterranean which means we saw snow on photos only. Even I never drive while snowing or on snow; it was a nightmare for me.

Guess what happened! 

Normally this road is two lines. (At least it was when we were going to Turkiye) Have no single idea where is the lines, even where is the soil.

As shared before, I was looking for green plum (you can check "papaz erik") and yellow cherry. Normally have a yellow cherry tree but approximately two years ago one of the goat of a neighbour eaten all branches and now the tree is growing quite slow.  Here, in Montenegro they don't have them. Even I checked with Croatia and Bosnia I Hercegovina but no chance.

When I was in Turkiye, get in touch with Murat Bakan who I know from a Facebook gardening group. When he said that he has them and even (upon advise of a friend from Podgorica) artichokes; I said yes directly. 

Trakya Fide ve tohum merkezi Trakya fide Murat Bakan

+90 537 584 64 13

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fjLNQBgq6uFF8Zkx7

If you are in Turkiye or want to have high quality seedlings; I strictly advice him. I bought two varieties of green plum, yellow cheery, loquat and a pack of artichokes. Also he gifted a yellow rosehip. In Turkish culture we have a saying which can be translated as to have a part of her/him growing there. Now, he has a part growing in Zelcestan.

After stopping by him, I routed to Ipsala to come via Greece and Albania to avoid that snake turning road. But somehow the maps took me to Kapikule; the border of Turkiye to Bulgaria. 

In Bulgaria, they are using a vignette system for vessels. Not per pass; for week, for weekend, for month, etc. You can buy via machine on border or via web site with your credit or debit card. They are using a camera tracking system for vignette and if you don't have that; you can have a strong headache!

Also, Bulgaria has very strict rules for items such as you are allowed to have two packs (not two cartons, only two packs) of cigarettes. If you have more than this; they take it. Custom officer asked me to empty the trunk for control, you should see my face. App 250 kilos! Thankfully I am not a tiny woman!

After examination, custom will give you a paper which permits you to enter to Bulgaria. Also you have to pay 3 Euros for disinfection of the car. 

I was planning to make this route to avoid that road but Google Maps! 

I found myself on the way of Serbia and said OK instead of rerouting. Also was wishing to see that road as an experience. The road was harder than I expected. Still drove more less close to Belgrade then gave a break to rest my legs and eyes. 


When I passed to back seat, they took their places directly; Haylaz on my belly and Benek on my legs. We slept as this for more less two hours. 

When you travel with two cats; you have very limited options for a place to sleep. Lots of hotels don't accept pets, or they are so expensive for my budget if they accept. So, we sleep in the car. Thankfully I am not a comfort person. 

After the break, put our address and checked the route to avoid problem, especially that spiral road. It was OK and drove to Montenegro. Entered via Rožaje. There were road maintenance at the entrance. The problem is the signal system was not working properly. Once found myself faced with a truck and several cars inside of a tunnel which was almost 1,5 lines due to construction. And another one faced with several cars by and between two small hill. The driver of the car said a lot in Montenegrin; most probably not nice sentences but it was not me or other cars behind of me. Signals and keepers managed as this, they said us to go 🤷‍♀️.

Second city after Rožaje is Berane. Stopped by side to check Google Maps to avoid to entering that road.


This is the road if you wish to have a look. Lots of turns, ramp, snow, fog... The road was different and I continued with route comments of Google maps. And of course; found myself here!

There wasn't any road (first photo up), approximately 15 cm snow on the road, still snowing, fog. An idiot who chased a lot with lights and horn to drive faster (I was driving 30-35 on the ramps in snow) was a bonus! I looked for a side to stop and let him go with hope of having soil under the car, not snow and hill! Later on saw the twisting signs of that idiot who drove app 50 km speed. No need to suicide! 

We started around 9 am on Sunday from Istanbul, gave two breaks with two hours of sleep and arrived to home around 12 on Monday. The road was full of challenges by road and by weather. 



If you are planning to go to Turkiye with car; advise to make it by and between March to November. Also via Albania and Greece is the best route especially new routing of Google maps in Montenegro. Last year when I drove to Turkiye, it was a different route but this time I couldn't find that path on maps. 

To keep lots of coins, some food and beverages also a blanket (depends on number of the passengers) would be better just in case. As wrote before, there is facility on the toll roads such as petrol station, cafe, etc therefore better to keep you fuel tank full as much as you can. 

Have a safe trip,

We 



Comments